Object Oriented Programming is Inherently Harmful
“Object-oriented programming is an exceptionally bad idea which could only have originated in California.” – Edsger Dijkstra
“object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing.” – Rob Pike
“The phrase "object-oriented” means a lot of things. Half are obvious, and the other half are mistakes.“ – Paul Graham
“Implementation inheritance causes the same intertwining and brittleness that have been observed when goto statements are overused. As a result, OO systems often suffer from complexity and lack of reuse.” – John Ousterhout Scripting, IEEE Computer, March 1998
“90% of the shit that is popular right now wants to rub its object-oriented nutsack all over my code” – kfx
“Sometimes, the elegant implementation is just a function. Not a method. Not a class. Not a framework. Just a function.” – John Carmack
“The problem with object-oriented languages is they’ve got all this implicit environment that they carry around with them. You wanted a banana but what you got was a gorilla holding the banana and the entire jungle.” – Joe Armstrong
“I used to be enamored of object-oriented programming. I’m now finding myself leaning toward believing that it is a plot designed to destroy joy.” – Eric Allman
OO is the “structured programming” snake oil of the 90' Useful at times, but hardly the “end all” programing paradigm some like to make out of it.
And, at least in it’s most popular forms, it’s can be extremely harmful and dramatically increase complexity.
Inheritance is more trouble than it’s worth. Under the doubtful disguise of the holy “code reuse” an insane amount of gratuitous complexity is added to our environment, which makes necessary industrial quantities of syntactical sugar to make the ensuing mess minimally manageable.
- Bad Engineering Properties of Object-Oriented Languages by Luca Cardelli.
- Why OO Sucks by Joe Armstrong.
- Pitfalls of Object Oriented Programming - By Tony Albrecht of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe, Research & Development Division.
- Object-Oriented Considered Harmful by Frans Faase.
- Object Oriented Programming Oversold!
- I Hate Patterns - By Parand Tony Darugar.
- Why arc Isn’t Particularly Object-Oriented - By Paul Graham.
- The questions about inheritance in the Java IAQ.
- Stop Writing Classes - Great talk about how classes are often used and abused. By Jack Diederich.